Monday, February 1, 2010

Custom Skid Plate

Stock Subarus have a plastic "splash guard" under the front of the car that wont protect anything if you hit a large rock or something solid, so that's why I made my own aluminum skid plate. You can buy already made ones, but they are expensive and don't protect everything. I purchased enough 1/8" thick aluminum at Discount Steel and Aluminum to cover under my engine and then some for about $35.

My friend and I then purchased a 36" brake to bend the aluminum to fit better. The brake was designed my to bend thin sheet metal, so we had to modify it a bit and we could only get it to bend a little bit, but enough. We used cardboard to determine what size to cut the aluminum and figure out where to drill the holes. To cut it, we used a saws-all.

1/8" is good, but not great, so I added another piece left over in the center and then added some angled aluminum pieces on the top to increase rigidity. It bolts to the sub frame in the front and to the jack plate in the rear, all with stainless steal hardware.





No comments: