Monday, February 1, 2010

Winch Install


So I had this ATV winch lying around that my dad gave me cause it didn't work for what he needed it for, and I've always wanted to put a winch on my car, so, what better opportunity then now to put it on while I have my winter front bumper cover on that I can cut up if needed.

My plan was to attach it to the bumper beam on the other side from the tow point, this way, if I needed more pull, I could wrap it around something (like a tree) and connect it to the tow point to get twice and much pulling force. Also I wanted it as close to the frame rail as possible to distribute the forces throughout the car.

The winch had two holes drilled for mounting it, but they were the exact distance apart as the width of my bumper beam so I could not run both around or within the beam, so my plan was to run one in a factory hole (which was in the center of the width of the beam) and drill two more in the winch that will go behind the beam. Instead of having the bolts directly against on the beam, I decided to put some steal in between so it would distribute the pressure across more area of the beam.

Using 5.5" bolts and a plate on top of the beam and some plates behind the beam, the winch was secure.





Overall, it is a pretty weak winch, I was able to pull my car with the e-brake on so far. I tried it one other time when I was stuck and the other guy didn't have a tow strap or a good tow point. The winch ended up slightly bending when I hooked it to on his car so I didn't keep trying, but I don't think it could have straight pulled my car out since it was in pretty far.

No comments: